Monday

Transmission Repair Basics

It's easy to replace Automatic Transmission Cooling Lines yourself - if you know this handy trick.

I'm not very handy when it comes to fixing things. Under most circumstances I wouldn't even think about fixing a transmission problem myself, but what are you going to do when the repair shop is closed and your car breaks down? As a point of masculine pride I had to at least take a look. I mean, my mechanic relies upon my expert diagnosis - Right?

So I had a look and actually found the problem - one of the transmission lines was leaking. I look at it for a little while, wiggle a few things, get on the ground to have a look from underneath. You know what? I think I can repair this, myself!

It looked pretty simple: just disconnect both ends, remove the line from the retaining clips, replace with the new line, reconnect and I'm done. Nothing to it. I do a quick Google search and find that I'm right; there's nothing to it...And Bonus... the line is attached with Quick Releases. I'll be back on the road in no time.

Two hours later and the quick releases still won't release! Hop on Google again and this time I actually read (rather than scanned) the How-To's and find that I need a Quick Release Disconnect Tool to make the Quick Releases release.

Things That Will Not Work in Place of a Quick Release Tool

I wasn't going to make another trip to the parts store to buy a Quick Disconnect Tool (a tool that I would probably use only once in my lifetime) if I didn't have to. Here are the highlights of what doesn't work to remove Quick Disconnects:
  • Your hands. At least not if you have hands as big as mine.
  • Pliers. Too little room to maneuver in.
  • Zip Ties. Good idea but it just didn't work
  • Screw Driver. It was worth a try. 

Symptoms Of A Bad Transmission

Although transmission failure is not something any car owner wants to hear about, there are warning signs that may indicate your vehicle is having some kind of transmission problems. Remember, even if your vehicle is experiencing one or more of these warning signs, it does not necessarily mean it is the transmission. Symptoms of a bad transmission overlap with numerous other common vehicle problems, so it is always best to take your vehicle in to have it inspected before just jumping to any irrational conclusion. Bringing your vehicle in for an evaluation and possibly catching a minor problem before it becomes a major issues, might save you thousands of dollars. All that said, below are some of the more common symptoms of a bad transmission:

Leaky Fluid-transmissions require fluid in order to function and are the lifeblood of the transmission, serving to keep the internal parts cool and lubricated. One warning sign of a bad transmission is when your vehicle begins to leak transmission fluid. If you park on a white surface, such as a concrete driveway or in a garage, you will be able to tell if you have such fluid leakage. If you park on a dirt or grass surface you will need to place a white cloth or blanket underneath the hood part of your car to find such leakage. If you notice any pinkish fluid leaking out, then you will know that it is from the transmission. Also any very dark or burned looking fluid is another sign that the transmission may be having a problem since optimal color should be a dark or cherry red. Any fluids leaking from your vehicle are cause for concern and warrant taking your vehicle to get transmission repair at as soon as possible.

Other great Repair Articles:

No comments:

Post a Comment